Exploration & Production - Well Delivery - Drilling Engineering
*OPEX and/or CAPEX and/or Revenue amount as relevant*
Team Lead, Drilling Engineering
Provide expertise on related drilling activities, policy, procedures and any other technical support including well design preparation to deliver a safe and effective drilling operations, standardization, well integrity, quality assurance, benchmarking, engineering performance management and engineering career development, in addition to contributing to the preparation of the annual work program and budget.
The position will act in accordance with the Group’s Mission, Vision, Values & Strategies, as well as, policies, guidelines and international standards, supported by an IT Technology platform, HSE standards, Omani’s government & other legal justification’s, and best international practices in consonance with national objectives.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Executing the workflow associated with finalizing well proposals with exploration and development departments; pre-planning and designing wells to achieve agreed objectives, arrangement of required services and material, post-well analysis, and collection of best practices/lessons learned.
- Well Planning & Design:
- Planning of OQ wells including the utilization of special applications (Landmark Application) to design casing strings and simulate drilling operations.
- During the process of well planning, learnings from previous wells and current industry practices and applications will be deployed to optimize on operations to achieve preset objectives. This includes analyzing offsets, planning for common areas of improvement, researching applicable best practices and lessons learned, establishing drilling road maps, working with Bit and BHA providers to optimize products and services and compiling these into a general plan to follow and monitor during drilling operations.
- Maintaining a Library of Best Practices and Lessons Learned through assisting the Optimization Drilling Engineer in documenting best practices and lessons learned on drilling and workover strategies and techniques.
- Provide a detailed post-well operational performance review report. This must include, but not limited to; Actual vs plan cost and time, NPT, problems encountered, solutions provided, practices to be repeated and improvements. The Continuous Improvement Plan will be updated accordingly.
- Responsible for the contribution to the implementation of short term and long term Continuous Improvement Plan (CIP) for the drilling and workover activities planned by the company.
- Participate and contribute to the value creation workshops (DWOPs, AAR & any other technical reviews).
- Continuously challenge available new technologies in the market and include ‘as applicable’ in the (CIP) to improve Well Construction cost.
- Continuously strive to optimize wells designs and ensure lessons learned during execution are evaluated and when applicable implemented.
- Regularly communicate identified issues and optimization opportunities to the Drilling Engineering Supervisor and Drilling Superintended and ensure drilling programs are revised.
- Follow day-to-day operations and provide inputs as required to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Ensure all Well Delivery process requirements are adhered to and all required tasks are accomplished from well pick session to execution of program.
- During execution phase, ensure all required reports are completed as per Well Delivery Process and as per Well delivery reporting format.
- Provide overall QA/QC for day to day operations and delivered operational reports.
- Hold overall responsibility for implementation of MOC process to all critical changes in drilling activities.
- Ensure material requirements are identified in a timely manner and procurement process is undertaken.
- Prepare and actively contribute to the Operations Review sessions with contractor(s) and ensure all resulted actions are closed on time. In doing so, the SWE will apply appropriate techniques and processes to drive performance through benchmarking and data analysis.
Internal: Development/Exploration Departments / Central Operations and Facilities Departments / Supply Chain Management Department.
External: Contractors & Service Providers
Notable Working Conditions. Field Operational environment, computer screen use.
Bachelor’s in Petroleum Engineering, Mechanical, or related.
Excellent knowledge of written, read, and spoken English (required) Arabic - Native (desirable)
Background and experience
Competencies and skills
- 6+ years of experience in relevant position
- Well-rounded professional with strong background in petroleum engineering or G&G, adaptable and motivated general management strategist who relishes challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural sensitivity.
- Computer literate with expertise in MS Office.
- Hands on experience at managerial level in Oil & Gas subsurface field
- Experienced in resource control, contract management and general management.